I feel that staying true to my One Word for the year in all aspects of my life is a whole lot easier than trying to achieve a long list of goals. This strategy has been working for me so far and so I plan to continue doing the same for 2016.
I started thinking about my One Word for 2016 back in November. Choosing a word is not as easy as you may think. You really have to dig deep and think about the best word that would represent what you wish to accomplish in your life for a particular year.
As I was thinking about my word, I looked back into my experiences in 2015 and what I wanted to change or improve. I really did Thrive last year. For instance, I earned consistently and regularly out of my freelance writing gigs, which was a first in my three years of freelancing. This blog also thrived with new partnerships and opportunities despite the fact that it usually had to take a back seat because of work and family duties. Our family thrived as well despite major changes that happened and challenges that we had to endure.
All that thriving though has left me exhausted, especially work-wise. I found myself frustrated and dissatisfied with how I was living my day-to-day life. My brain and my soul were looking for a reprieve and I found it through planner decorating. Although I use planners religiously (I can’t live without one!), it was only last year that I got back into “creative planning”.
It’s so much fun and it provided my brain and my soul with a welcome break from all the hustle and bustle of everyday life. It gave me so much joy to learn that I can create beautiful planner pages with just washi tape, stickers and what-not. Plus, I was able to discover like-minded spirits who are planner addicts themselves.
I got so into it that I even created a designated Instagram account for my planner addiction. I had no idea that people will actually follow my account and that they will be inspired by what I post. As of this writing, I’m already close to reaching 500 followers, to think I only started this account in July. (My personal/blog IG account only has 700+ followers and I’ve had it for 3 years already!).
It also gave me an idea for a new business that I want to pursue. More importantly, it made me realize that I was wrong in thinking all these years that I’m not a creative person. I actually am! I just had to stop being afraid of releasing my inner creativity and showing it to the world.
It’s because of all this that I decided I wanted to unleash my creativity some more in all aspects of my life in 2016. Which is how I came up with my One Word …..
In 2016, I wish to:
- Create more meaningful blog posts on Roller Coaster Ride that will inform and inspire others
- Create a more relevant Roller Coaster Ride that will hopefully allow me to earn more through blogging
- Create a freelance writing career that is more aligned with my writing goals
- Create more functional yet beautiful planner pages that I can use to organize my life and inspire others to organize their own
- Create more journal pages to chronicle the memorable aspects of my year
- Create a new business that I am truly passionate about
- Create a deeper and stronger relationship with my hubby, kids and friends
- Create more adventures and wonderful memories with my family
- Create a better ME
- Create a stronger and more meaningful relationship with God
I am so excited for this new year. It’s still so full of possibilities. I can’t wait to explore them all and start creating!
What’s your One Word for the year?