As a mom, I’m always on the lookout for fun yet educational apps that my kids can use. For my son, Ziggy, for instance, I sometimes allow him to use gadgets for our homeschool and for entertainment as well. But I make sure that the apps he uses are of good quality and are kid-friendly. So, I was really happy to learn that McDonald’s now has it’s own app called Happy Studio.
The Happy Studio App
We all know that customers all over the world, kids especially, love McDonald’s Happy Meals because of the highly collectible toys they come with. Well now, kids can enjoy their Happy Meal more with the launch of the new Happy Studio app, an interactive learning and play app filled to the brim with character-themed games that kids can use to explore their creativity while developing useful skills.
Designed in collaboration with a panel of child development and play experts, Happy Studio is a fun new environment that grows children’s imaginations and encourages innovative thinking.
Kids can choose to step into the shoes of an inventor, an artist, or a musician. Each activity is focused on developing certain skills while putting the child into playful mini-scenarios.
Be an Inventor
As an inventor, kids can build various objects with their favorite characters while learning creative and logic skills as they go.
Here, there are three activities to choose from. The kids can either assemble a rocket (to reach the moon) or a car (to jump over a gap). There’s also another activity that involves assembling pieces of a pin ball machine to enable the ball to reach the goal.
Be an Artist
As an artist, children are able to improve their creative skills and exercise their imagination.
Under this feature, there are a few coloring pages that kids can choose from as well as activities on tracing lines and creating pictures using premade backgrounds and Happy Meal box characters.
Be a Musician
As a musician, kids are able to explore musical patterns to help improve their rhythm and timing.
Here, the kids can choose three different musical instruments to play with. For each musical instrument, they can either practice playing or do the challenge. The challenge involves letting the kids listen to a beat. Then they have to replicate it using the instrument.
Aside from the three main features, you can also find these other sections.
Find Great Activities
There are 3 other activities to choose from. They are “Who I Am?”, “Crazy Science Gloop”, and “Guess the Song”. These are suggested fun activities that parents and kids can enjoy together.
Scan a Happy Meal Toy
The scanning feature allows you to scan any Happy Meal toy, which will unlock more fun games and activities.
We let our son, Ziggy, use the Happy Studio app over the past week. Here’s what we think.
What we love:
- All the games and activities are child-friendly. They are easy to understand and easy to do.
- There are no ads running on the app, which is a huge plus for me.
- The app is FREE to download.
- The app is available from both the Apple App Store or Google Play Store so kids can use it either on Apple or Android devices.
- We tried scanning one of the new Happy Meal Emoji toys twice and it unlocked two different games. Ziggy found this feature really fun.
Points for Improvement:
- The scanning feature disappeared after a few days. Because of this I wasn’t able to take a photo of the scanning process. I don’t know what happened but I hope the developers return it soon especially because our son really found this feature exciting.
- After the child is done doing all the games and activities, they might start losing interest. I don’t know if the developers already do this but it would be nice if they could update the games and activities every so often.
Overall, Ziggy loves using this app and I love that I can let him use it without worrying about him running into adult content through ads. I love that it’s both educational and fun too.
Do let your kids try it as well! And if you love it like we do, share your love for the app via the official Facebook fan page or by tagging @McDo_PH to your sweet and funny Happy Studio moments on Twitter or Instagram.